Wednesday, April 8, 2009

resurrection celebration

Psalm 98, Proverbs 8

I think these verses from Psalm 98 apply to our celebration of what God has done through Christ's death and resurrection:

 1 Sing a new song to the Lord,
      for he has done wonderful deeds.
   His right hand has won a mighty victory;
      his holy arm has shown his saving power!
 2 The Lord has announced his victory
      and has revealed his righteousness to every nation! ...
 4 Shout to the Lord, all the earth;
      break out in praise and sing for joy!

I am reminded by these verses in Proverbs that He promises to reveal Himself to those who seek Him, and our joy comes from seeking Him daily.  It is my prayer that my children will seek Him and know Him better than I have.

 17 "I love all who love me.
      Those who search will surely find me.

 34
Joyful are those who listen to me,
      watching for me daily at my gates,
      waiting for me outside my home!
 35 For whoever finds me finds life
      and receives favor from the Lord.

Last night at Perspectives, a Brother from Food for the Hungry spoke to us about caring for the poor.  The two main points that I walked away with were:
  1. Humility.  We are all impoverished.  Everyone has a deficiency in some aspect of their physical, emotional, social, and spiritual existence that can only be supplied by God. And His supply usually comes through the Body of Christ.  Therefore, we are to minister to one another in humility - recognizing that each of us is broken and in need of saving.
  2. Holistic.  As we minister to people, especially those in severe physical need, we must minister to the whole of their humanity - body, soul, and spirit.  Only preaching the Gospel is not enough.  Only giving them food is not enough.  Only providing economic development is not enough.  We must minister holistically.
Heavenly Father, I praise you for the work of Christ Jesus!  Dear Lord, please help me preach the Gospel in boldness, but do not let me neglect the physical, emotional, and social needs of those around me.  I know that you are redeeming mankind, and you are redeeming the earth.  Please use me to increase the Lordship and dominion of Jesus Christ today.  I pray this in His name. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment