Wednesday, April 1, 2009

shelter

Psalm 91, Proverbs 1

 1 Those who live in the shelter of the Most High
      will find rest in the shadow of the Almighty.
 2 This I declare about the Lord:
   He alone is my refuge, my place of safety;
      he is my God, and I trust him. ...
 4 He will cover you with his feathers.
      He will shelter you with his wings.
      His faithful promises are your armor and protection. ...
 9 If you make the Lord your refuge,
      if you make the Most High your shelter,
 10 no evil will conquer you;
      no plague will come near your home.
 11 For he will order his angels
      to protect you wherever you go.
 12 They will hold you up with their hands
      so you won't even hurt your foot on a stone.
 13 You will trample upon lions and cobras;
      you will crush fierce lions and serpents under your feet!

I think it is hilarious that the Devil, as he tempted Jesus to jump off the top of the temple in Jerusalem, quoted parts of verses 11 and 12.  What is the context?  Walking humbly in the shelter of the Most High and resting in the shadow of the Almighty God.  What is the consequence?  Trampling cobras and crushing fierce serpents under your feet!  That sounds like Genesis 3:15 to me!  The Devil is just like that, isn't he?  His deception is so subtle.  But the emphasis is not on the Devil here; that would be blasphemy.  The emphasis is on the goodness and intimacy of our Heavenly Father who protects us as we cling to His promises and make Him our refuge and shelter (v. 9).

Heavenly Father, you are so kind and gracious.  I need your presence for salvation.  Lord God, be near!  Lord, please help me make you my refuge and shelter.  May I find rest in the shadow of your Almighty protection.   Lord, please deliver me from the Serpent, and use the Body of Christ to crush him under the Feet of Christ.  I pray this in the name of Jesus Christ.  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment