Wednesday, April 15, 2009

testing

Psalm 105, Proverbs 15

Psalm 105 is a highlight reel of God's sovereignty that spans from the time of God's promise to Abraham to when Israel entered the Promise Land.  As we know (objectively and subjectively), life isn't as smooth as we might expect or hope:

 16 He called for a famine on the land of Canaan,
      cutting off its food supply.
 17 Then he sent someone to Egypt ahead of them—
      Joseph, who was sold as a slave.
 18 They bruised his feet with fetters
      and placed his neck in an iron collar.
 19 Until the time came to fulfill his dreams,
      the Lord tested Joseph's character.

If God's plan was for Abraham's descendants to live in Canaan, then why didn't He simply move them there in the first place?  What was the point of Joseph's suffering or Israel's suffering in Egypt?  I see two reasons.  First, it amplifies the glory of God's salvation; He is always working His plan:

 20 Then Pharaoh sent for him and set him free;
      the ruler of the nation opened his prison door.
 21 Joseph was put in charge of all the king's household;
      he became ruler over all the king's possessions.
 22 He could instruct the king's aides as he pleased
      and teach the king's advisers. 23 Then Israel arrived in Egypt;
      Jacob lived as a foreigner in the land of Ham.
 24 And the Lord multiplied the people of Israel
      until they became too mighty for their enemies.

Second, it is a type of Christ, and it is through suffering that we are molded into the image of Christ and take on His character:

 45 All this happened so they would follow his decrees
      and obey his instructions.

   Praise the Lord!

Brandi had some blood drawn for analysis before Easter, and Monday she called the office and they told her that everything was clear.  Yesterday they called her and told her that when they spoke with her on Monday, not all of the tests results had been reported, and that some of the remaining tests were abnormal, so we will have several follow up visits.  Why does God allow us to experience testing?  It forces us to dig deeper into His character.  In addition to Phil. 4:6-8, James 1:2-5, and 1 Peter 1:3-8, this point is explained in Psalm 105:

 1 Give thanks to the Lord and proclaim his greatness.
      Let the whole world know what he has done.
 2 Sing to him; yes, sing his praises.
      Tell everyone about his wonderful deeds.
 3 Exult in his holy name;
      rejoice, you who worship the Lord.
 4 Search for the Lord and for his strength;
      continually seek him.

 5 Remember the wonders he has performed,
      his miracles, and the rulings he has given,
 6 you children of his servant Abraham,
      you descendants of Jacob, his chosen ones.

 7 He is the Lord our God.
      His justice is seen throughout the land.
 8 He always stands by his covenant—
      the commitment he made to a thousand generations.


Heavenly Father, I trust you, but I confess that I do not know you like I can or should.  I know that you are faithful because your Word explains this through many people's lives, but I realize that you want me to know you subjectively for myself.  May I devote myself to seeking you and your strength because I am week and you are strong.  I believe that you are mighty to save, regardless of the circumstances.  Your love is infinite; you proved this with Christ on the Cross.  Your power is infinite; you proved this by resurrecting
Christ from the dead.  I believe that your love and power extend to me, my wife, and my child.  I trust you to heal my wife, for your glory and your fame.  May your grace abound.  I pray in the name of Jesus Christ, the Gracious One.  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment