Thursday, October 10, 2013

Mindfulness

I attended a presentation on Tuesday about mindfulness and meditation.  The focus of this type of meditation is actually not "emptying your mind", but rather, exercising focused and sustained concentration on a singular thought.  (You could think of it as the opposite of multi-tasking.)

While this secular presentation was focused on the body and the mind, I was impressed with a few redeemable principles.  First, we need to be "present" and "aware" (that is, "mindful") in order to be well and effective. I agree that this is valuable.  Indeed, we are to care for our bodies as temples of God, and we must be mindful of the state of our minds.  But to generalize, I believe we need to be mindful of the body, soul, and spirit.  Second, we must proactively train our minds; we must intentionally focus our minds in the way that we intend to train our minds.  We have to set aside time to intentionally focus (meditate) on who Christ is and how we relate to Him.

Rom 8:5 For those who live according to the flesh set their minds on the things of the flesh, but those who live according to the Spirit set their minds on the things of the Spirit. For to set the mind on the flesh is death, but to set the mind on the Spirit is life and peace. ... You, however, are not in the flesh but in the Spirit, if in fact the Spirit of God dwells in you.

What an amazing truth that the Spirit of God dwells in us who are disciples of Jesus.  And He is both transforming us and leading us!
 
Rom 12:1 I appeal to you therefore, brothers, by the mercies of God, to present your bodies as a living sacrifice, holy and acceptable to God, which is your spiritual worship. Do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewal of your mind, that by testing you may discern what is the will of God, what is good and acceptable and perfect 
 
Gal 5:16 But I say, walk by the Spirit, and you will not gratify the desires of the flesh. ... 22 But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, 23 gentleness, self-control; against such things there is no law.24 And those who belong to Christ Jesus have crucified the flesh with its passions and desires. 25 If we live by the Spirit, let us also keep in step with the Spirit.

Pastor Lewis called it "practicing the presence of God".  I believe we have an amazing opportunity to be mindful of God working in us and through us.  As we keep in step with Him, we co-labor in what He is doing around us.

Heavenly Father, I pray that I will be mindful of you.  Lord, please help me set aside time to seek you each day, and more and more, moment by moment.  Lord, I want to be aware of what you are doing and join you in your work.  Lord, thank you for transforming my mind and growing the fruit of your spirit in my life.  I love you, and I want to keep in step with you.  I pray in the name of Jesus.

No comments:

Post a Comment