Thursday, October 24, 2013

Temple cleansing

Mark 11:15-17 ESV

And they came to Jerusalem. And he entered the temple and began to drive out those who sold and those who bought in the temple, and he overturned the tables of the money-changers and the seats of those who sold pigeons. And he would not allow anyone to carry anything through the temple. And he was teaching them and saying to them, "Is it not written, 'My house shall be called a house of prayer for all the nations'? But you have made it a den of robbers."

Apparently, this was the second time Jesus cleansed the temple.  The first time was at the first Passover of Jesus's ministry, soon following His first miracle (John 2:13-25).  I think of these as two bookends on Jesus's ministry, and I think they highlight the consistency and intensity of Jesus's  passion for pure prayer and worship.

It seems to me that Jesus did not want people to commercialize worship or mechanize the worship process.  So, woe to the modern-day television "preachers" who use people for money; I believe they will spend eternity in hell.  (I am shocked by the audacity of some of the claims that I have heard.)

But more personally, I think I need to be careful to evaluate the prayer and worship process/experience in my own heart.  Are there any ways that I am changing money (i.e., exchanging the Jewish temple shekel tax for roman currency) for a profit?  Am I selling doves and livestock at a hefty markup?  Am I letting business/profession govern my life instead of genuinely worshipping, following, and obeying the Lord?

Paul teaches in his first letter to the church at Corinth (1 Cor. 6:19-20) that our bodies, as Believers of Jesus, are the temple of God, so we need to honor Him with our bodies.

Heavenly Father, you desire pure worship in Spirit and in truth.  Lord, please help me see how I am commercializing religion instead of worshipping in Spirit and in truth.  Lord, I love you, and I want to worship you purely.  I ask in the name of Jesus.

No comments:

Post a Comment