Sunday, October 13, 2013

Unforgiveness

Matthew 18:32-35 ESV

Then his master summoned him and said to him, 'You wicked servant! I forgave you all that debt because you pleaded with me.  And should not you have had mercy on your fellow servant, as I had mercy on you?'  And in anger his master delivered him to the jailers, until he should pay all his debt.  So also my heavenly Father will do to every one of you, if you do not forgive your brother from your heart."

Wow.  That sounds pretty black and white to me.  Forgiveness is not an option if you are a follower of Christ.

Even in Jesus's model prayer, He coupled God's forgiveness of us with our forgiveness of others.  And then He reiterated the contingency of God's forgiveness on ours.

That's pretty sobering.  This makes me think I should ask the Lord to bring to my attention any unforgiveness in my heart.  Dangerous.

Heavenly Father, thank you for your incredible forgiveness and love.  Thank you for your kindness and mercy.  Lord, may I be faithful to extend mercy as you have to me.  Please show me any unforgiveness in my heart, and deliver me from my selfish pride that falsely entitles me to sit in judgement and demand justice.  You have spared me of judgement through the substitutionary sacrifice of Christ.  Lord, any offense of another person against me is a small debt compared to my infinite sin-debt against you.  Please fill me with the joy of salvation in Christ.  I love you, and I pray in the name of Jesus.

No comments:

Post a Comment