Wednesday, April 16, 2008

deception

 
Michal (King Saul's daughter, David's wife) lied to Saul's men when they asked about David.  Then she lied when she said that David was going to kill her if she didn't help him escape.
 
David and Jonathan conspired a lie to tell Saul to test his desire to kill David.
 
What's the deal with all of this lying?  I realize that it might be harder to tell the truth, but wouldn't God get more glory that way?  Wouldn't He be more pleased with honesty than someone's attempt to "help" Him?
 
What about the story of Abraham lying about his relationship with Sarah to save his neck?  What about the Israelite midwives lying to the Egyptians to protect the baby boys from death?  What about Rahab lying to protect the spies?  What would have happened in each of these situations if the individuals had the guts to tell the truth, or at least address the heart of the issue instead of skirting conflict with deception.
 
It seems to me that, generally, dishonesty/deception is associated with Satan (aka, the father of lies), and honesty/truth is associated with the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit.  Hmm... interesting.
 
Prayer
Heavenly Father, I pray that you will make me an honest man of integrity.  I pray that you will give me discernment in difficult situations to know what the real issue is and how to address that in a way that completely honors you.  I pray that you will humble me.  I pray this in the name of Jesus Christ. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment