Tuesday, April 8, 2008

picture of Christ and the Church

Ruth 3-4, I Chronicles 2:3-16, 1 Samuel 1
4:13 So Boaz took Ruth and she became his wife. Then he went to her, and
the LORD enabled her to conceive, and she gave birth to a son. 14 The women said
to Naomi: "Praise be to the LORD, who this day has not left you without a
kinsman-redeemer. May he become famous throughout Israel! 15 He will renew your
life and sustain you in your old age. For your daughter-in-law, who loves you
and who is better to you than seven sons, has given him birth."
16
Then Naomi took the child, laid him in her lap and cared for him. 17 The women
living there said, "Naomi has a son." And they named him Obed. He was the father
of Jesse, the father of David.


Boaz is a picture of Christ. He is the kinsman redeemer, and his name means "strength" or "quickness". Jesus is our Redeemer, and His Name is Salvation.

Ruth is a picture of the Church (i.e., the bride of Christ). Her name means "friend". Indeed, Jesus no longer calls us enemies or slaves, but friends of God. By the way, Mahlon (Ruth's first husband's name) means "sick". I think that is interesting. Ruth used to be married to "sick" and lived in the land of the enemy.

Furthermore, their child was Obed, whose name means "servant" or "worshipping", and his son was named Jesse, which means "gift". So, I think the analogy is that the consequence of an abiding relationship with Christ, the Church worships in a gift of service. (I know it's a stretch, but it's not inconsistent with the teachings of the New Testament.)

Prayer
Heavenly Father, thank you for rescuing me from the sick land of the enemy and saving me to a life with my Redeemer. Lord, I pray that I would offer you a sacrifice of praise; I pray that my life will be pleasing to you. I pray this in the name of Jesus Christ, my Redeemer. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment