Thursday, April 17, 2008

relationship with God through Christ

 
In all of these Psalms, David spoke of Yahweh (LORD) as if he knew Him personally.  The one I appreciated the most was Psalm 59:5(a):
O LORD God Almighty, the God of Israel ...
(Yahweh Elohim Sabaot Elohim Israel)
It means, "the Self-existing covenant-maker, ruler of everything, ruler of the one who wrestles with God."
 
Along this same line of knowing God personally, I sat next to a Brother on the bus this morning that reads his Bible every morning (there are several of us). 
I asked him, "Todd, what does it mean to be a Christian?" 
He answered, "To have a relationship with God through Christ." 
I asked, "How does someone cultivate that relationship?" 
He answered, "Just like any relationship, we grow closer through communication.  God speaks to us through His Word, and we speak to Him through prayer."
 
He seemed kind of curious why I would ask these questions, so I explained that I just started teaching Bible Life Group a few months ago, and since that time, I have been challenged to not only communicate the truth of the lesson each Sunday but also a passion for pursuing Christ autonomously. He told me that he teaches the teen class at his church, and he agreed that it is quite a challenge.  He said this, "I guess you just have to show them by example."  This is a truth that another Brother shared with me about a month ago.  Having studied and practiced the concept of discipleship for several months, he said, "Discipleship takes time.  You have to let people into your life.  You have to bring people into your life.  You have to share life with each other so that you can teach them how to love Christ."
 
Prayer
Heavenly Father, I pray that you will show me how to be a disciple maker.  Lord, I pray that you will use me in my Bible Life Group to lead others to a closer relationship with you and that they would be inspired to seek you autonomously and passionately.  Lord, I pray that you will reveal yourself to me and that I will be so blown away by who you are that I am overjoyed to share you with others.  Lord, I pray that you would break the chains of the Enemy in my life and those around me today.  Lord, I pray that you will give me victory in Christ Jesus.  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment