Wednesday, May 20, 2009

ending Psalm 119

Psalm 119:169-176, Proverbs 20

The ending of Psalm 119 is so fitting!  Throughout the chapter, the psalmist describes the love and salvation of the Lord.  Sprinkled throughout are recitations of God's promises and, in turn, the psalmist promising to love, seek, and obey the Lord.  It seems like this last stanza is a microcosm of the whole chapter:

 169 O Lord, listen to my cry;
      give me the discerning mind you promised.
 170 Listen to my prayer;
      rescue me as you promised.
 171 Let praise flow from my lips,
      for you have taught me your decrees.
 172 Let my tongue sing about your word,
      for all your commands are right.
 173 Give me a helping hand,
      for I have chosen to follow your commandments.
 174 O Lord, I have longed for your rescue,
      and your instructions are my delight.
 175 Let me live so I can praise you,
      and may your regulations help me.
 176 I have wandered away like a lost sheep;
      come and find me,
      for I have not forgotten your commands.

I can really identify with this stanza.  I beg the Lord for discernment and rescue (169-170).  I desire to sing with the joy of my salvation and communicate God's love and righteousness to the nations (171-172).  But I am so prone to wander, and it is only by His grace, according to the measure of faith He has given me, that I may walk with Him and please Him (173-176).

Heavenly Father, you are so good, and I am so corrupt.  Lord, please save me from myself.  Sanctify me, please!  Lord, may I walk in your presence and enjoy your love.  Lord, I pray that my life will please you, and that my life will be a sacrifice to honor you.  I pray in the name of Jesus Christ, the most blessed Sacrifice.  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment