Thursday, May 28, 2009

construction

Psalm 127, Proverbs 28

Ps. 127  1 Unless the Lord builds a house,
      the work of the builders is wasted. ...
 3 Children are a gift from the Lord;
      they are a reward from him.
 4 Children born to a young man
      are like arrows in a warrior's hands.
 5 How joyful is the man whose quiver is full of them!
      He will not be put to shame when he confronts his accusers at the city gates.

By His grace, the Lord has blessed us with a healthy pregnancy, and I trust that in November He will provide a child.  As a young married couple with two incomes, it is easy to become self-confident and settle into a routine.  It is amazing how much humility you gain when you find out you are expecting, because you realize how little you know and how insecure we really are.  Life is so brief and so fragile.  I am beginning to realize the truth in verse 1 that I am not able to build or maintain a house - only the LORD can.  I trust him with my wife and children.

I was thinking about verse 4 in the context of Ephesians 6.  By the Lord's grace, He will advance His Kingdom by using me to train my children to love Him, fear Him, and obey Him.  My children will be members of His Church, and the gates of Hell will not prevail!

Heavenly Father, you are so gracious to bless me with a child.  Please help me be a faithful steward with the children you give me, and help me train them in righteousness.  Please anoint them with your Holy Spirit and author faith in their hearts.  I pray that you will advance your Kingdom through our family and that you will receive honor and praise through our worshipful lifestyle.  I ask this in the name of Jesus Christ.  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment