Monday, May 11, 2009

fast weekend

Psalm 119:97-104, Proverbs 11

Friday evening after work, Brandi and I drove up to Ruston, LA for JJ and Katie's wedding.  I got to hang out with the guys for the "Bachelor's party"; we just stood around and talked for a couple of hours at Dorkfish's house.  All of JJ's friends were really nice - a bunch of very friendly Christian guys.  Saturday morning, JJ treated us to some skeet shooting out in the woods - more great fun.  The competition ranged from several guys missing every single shot to JJ's youngest brother showing us all how it's done.  The wedding was very simple.  I think a lot of people get caught up in all of the glitz and glamour of how a wedding is "supposed to look", when they should be more clear and simple like JJ and Katie's wedding.

With all the time that Brandi and I had in the car, we read several chapters in a book called On becoming Baby Wise (Ezzo and Bucknam) that a friend gave us.  With all of the parenting know it alls out there, Brandi and I have decided that the proof is in the pudding.  We know two couples in our church that have implemented the Baby Wise model, and their children sleep through the night (e.g., 7-8 hours) within 10 weeks of birth.  No crying to sleep, no coddling to sleep, you simply put them in their beds when they are awake, and they go to sleep.  We have been convinced by firsthand experience, so we are going to do it.

 97 Oh, how I love your instructions!
      I think about them all day long. ...
 103 How sweet your words taste to me;
      they are sweeter than honey.

The only way that I will ever go beyond religious ritual is if I really enjoy the Lord.  I have to experience Him to know how good His truth is when it is practiced in my life.

Heavenly Father, I love you, and I need you.  I am so far away from you, and I want to go much deeper beyond the surface level knowledge of you.  Lord, I want more of you.  Lord, you are the Breath of Life, the Living Water, and the Bread of Life.  May I experience your goodness today.  I pray this in the name of Jesus Christ. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment