Tuesday, April 20, 2010

David’s kindness to Mephibosheth

2 Samuel 9-11

David's kindness to Mephibosheth is one of my favorite stories in the Old Testament.  Mephibosheth was the crippled son of Jonathan.  I think that it is a beautiful picture of Our Heavenly King's fulfillment to our ancestor Abraham to adopt us crippled humans into His family.  He provides for us so graciously.

Yesterday afternoon, I received a job offer for a professorship at the University of Texas at El Paso.  I believe that the Lord has provided this position, and I believe that He is growing my family's enthusiasm for this position.  He is so kind to provide a job for me and provide for my family.  And He is so gracious to provide a position with such influence that I can leverage for advancing His Kingdom.

One of the Brothers that I have tremendous respect for, Bob Gorham, shared with me something he learned when he was selected for a special committee at our church.  He said that at almost every challenge, the Devil will tempt us with fear and pride.  First, he will try to convince us that we are not able to accomplish the task that the Lord has called us to.  Of course, this is a perversion of the truth - we can't accomplish it on our own, but by the power of the Holy Spirit flowing through us, we will accomplish the task for His Glory.  Second, he will try to convince us that we are hot stuff and that we deserve the prestige.  Of course, this is a perversion of the truth - we are valuable because God made us in His image and spent His Son's life to save us from sin and death.

I think it was the pride of entitlement, and maybe some laziness, that got David in trouble with Bathsheba.  If he had obeyed Deuteronomy 17:16-20, then he probably wouldn't have ended up in the mess he got himself into.

Heavenly Father, you have been so kind to me.  I am simply a crippled child, but you gave shown me mercy and grace to invite me to dine with you at your table.  May I always live in your presence and serve you with joy and love.  Please guide me, Lord.  I trust in you and not in my own understanding, so please direct my steps.  Please deliver me from fear, laziness, and pride.  May I have faith and hope in your salvation, diligence to seek you and do your will, and humility before you and others.  May your name be praised among the nations.  I love you, Lord, and I pray in the name of Jesus Christ. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment