Monday, April 5, 2010

prayers for my son

1 Samuel 1-3, Luke 7

Yesterday afternoon, Brandi asked me what I was going to do if the Lord doesn't provide the job at UTEP, and I told her about several other opportunities that I could pursue.  But, I realized this morning that my fundamental response should be praise.  So, this morning as I was walking from the bus stop to my office, I told the Lord that I will praise Him either way, because I know that He is in control, and I know that He is kind to me because of Jesus Christ.

As for my reading this morning, it reminded me of my own experience.  Brandi and I tried for nine months before the Lord answered our prayers to bless us with a son.  I know that nine months is not that long of a time to wait compared to other people, but it was long enough for us to be broken of our own will and to beg the Lord for His will and His timing.  As we wept before the Lord, we told the Lord that we would dedicate our child to Him.  So this passage reminds me that I am a steward of this child; he belongs to the Lord.  And as I read about Hanah and Samuel, I pray that my son will experience the Lord's presence and know Him like Samuel did:

2:26 Meanwhile, the boy Samuel grew taller and grew in favor with the Lord and with the people.

3:10 And the Lord came and called as before, "Samuel! Samuel!"  And Samuel replied, "Speak, your servant is listening." ... 19 As Samuel grew up, the Lord was with him, and everything Samuel said proved to be reliable. ... 21 The Lord continued to appear at Shiloh and gave messages to Samuel there at the Tabernacle.

Heavenly Father, thank you for your kindness to me.  You have blessed me so richly with salvation in Christ and with my family.  Lord, I want to honor you, and I want to be used by you.  Lord, please help me be a good father and lead my son to know you and serve you.  Please continue to grow him and bless him.  I ask in the name of Jesus Christ. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment