Wednesday, April 6, 2011

purpose

Luke 4:22-44
43but [Jesus] said to them, "I must preach the good news of the kingdom of God to the other towns as well; for I was sent for this purpose."
If Jesus told us that His purpose was to preach the Good News of the Kingdom of God to everyone, then what are we supposed to be doing?
Matt 28:19 Go therefore and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, 20teaching them to observe all that I have commanded you. And behold, I am with you always, to the end of the age."
 
Mark 16:15And he said to them, "Go into all the world and proclaim the gospel to the whole creation. 16 Whoever believes and is baptized will be saved, but whoever does not believe will be condemned.
 
Luke 24:45Then he opened their minds to understand the Scriptures, 46and said to them, "Thus it is written, that the Christ should suffer and on the third day rise from the dead, 47and that repentance and forgiveness of sins should be proclaimed in his name to all nations, beginning from Jerusalem. 48 You are witnesses of these things.
 
John 3:16"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only Son, that whoever believes in him should not perish but have eternal life. 17For God did not send his Son into the world to condemn the world, but in order that the world might be saved through him.
 
Acts 1:8But you will receive power when the Holy Spirit has come upon you, and you will be my witnesses in Jerusalem and in all Judea and Samaria, and to the end of the earth."
So, it seems to me that our mission and purpose is not new or different but simply an extension of Christ's mission and purpose.  We are sharing the "good news of the gospel of Jesus Christ".
 
Heavenly Father, please help me stay focused on your will and plan.  Lord, it is so easy for me to get distracted; please forgive me.  Holy Spirit, please speak to me today, and show me how I can help share the truth and love of Jesus Christ.  Please help me invest in your Kingdom today.  I ask in the name of Jesus Christ.  Amen.

2 comments:

  1. So is there a difference between making "believers in Christ" vs "disciples"? If so, what is the difference between the 2, and have we (as an American Church society)changed the Great Commission?
    I asked this question a few Sundays ago in our BLG. We discussed it in relation to James 2:14-26. -Nate I.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nate, I agree that there is a critical difference between being being a true disciple of Christ and the Americanized connotation of being a "believer" or a "Christian". I think being a disciple means being a student and follower of Jesus with every ounce of our being. I think Jesus explained it in Luke 9:23-24 as denying ourselves, taking up our torturous death-instrument, and following Him. (It is certainly not "believe in Jesus and your life will be better".)

    I think James 2:21-24 explains that our genuine faith/discipleship is characterized by SACRIFICE for Christ, in response to His SACRIFICE for us. And a true disciple makes disciples who make disciples.

    ReplyDelete