Friday, April 8, 2011

Who do I hang out with?

Luke 5:17-39

Jesus was criticized by religious people for spending time with tax collectors and other "sinners":

 29 Later, Levi held a banquet in his home with Jesus as the guest of honor. Many of Levi's fellow tax collectors and other guests also ate with them. 30 But the Pharisees and their teachers of religious law complained bitterly to Jesus' disciples, "Why do you eat and drink with such scum?"   31 Jesus answered them, "Healthy people don't need a doctor—sick people do. 32 I have come to call not those who think they are righteous, but those who know they are sinners and need to repent."

I can't remember the last time I was criticized by religious people for hanging out with "lower" people.  I wonder what Jesus thinks about how I spend time with different people.  I am afraid that I am mostly a "holy roller", only spending time with churchy, religious people.  I wonder what it would look like if we spent more time with people that don't feel comfortable in a church building.

Heavenly Father, please open my eyes to see how I can engage people that don't know you and feel far from you.  How can I show your love to people like Jesus did, simply by spending time with them and letting them see your grace and peace shine through me?  Where can I go?  Who can I spend time with?  Even if it makes me uncomfortable, please use me to make disciples of all nations.  I love you, Lord, and I want to be like Jesus.  And I'm asking because of Jesus.

No comments:

Post a Comment