Wednesday, April 20, 2011

radiation

Luke 11:29-54
11:33 "No one lights a lamp and then hides it or puts it under a basket. Instead, a lamp is placed on a stand, where its light can be seen by all who enter the house. 34"Your eye is a lamp that provides light for your body. When your eye is good, your whole body is filled with light. But when it is bad, your body is filled with darkness. 35 Make sure that the light you think you have is not actually darkness. 36 If you are filled with light, with no dark corners, then your whole life will be radiant, as though a floodlight were filling you with light."
 
Matt. 5:14 "You are the light of the world. A city set on a hill cannot be hidden. 15 Nor do people light a lamp and put it under a basket, but on a stand, and it gives light to all in the house. 16In the same way, let your light shine before others, so that they may see your good works and give glory to your Father who is in heaven.
When I think of radiating spiritual light, I think that it characteristics of joy, peace, and kindness that are especially bright and radiant.  I have been convicted of this for some time; several years ago, I got caught up in pessimism and stress. If someone asked me how it was going, I would rattle off all of the things that I needed to do and why my life was so stressful.  I still remember quite vividly when the "light bulb" came on and I had a conversation with Brandi about this at our apartment in Austin.  I realized that I had to make a choice to be joyful and to show kindness to people.  I had to make a choice to let my trust in God and the peace of God govern my attitude.
 
Perhaps another characteristic that "radiates" is selflessness.  If you are selfish, then you are dark, but if you are always thinking of others and putting others' needs before your own, then you will shine brightly.
 
It can't be fake or forced; it has to be the presence of the Lord and the annointing of the Holy Spirit exuding from us.  It has to be His character and charisma flowing through us into the lives of others.  We need to know Him and walk with Him so that He will transform us into His radiant likeness.
2 Cor 3:18 And we, who with unveiled faces all reflect the Lord's glory, are being transformed into his likeness with ever-increasing glory, which comes from the Lord, who is the Spirit.
 
1 John 1:5 This is the message we have heard from him and proclaim to you, that God is light, and in him is no darkness at all. 6 If we say we have fellowship with him while we walk in darkness, we lie and do not practice the truth. 7But if we walk in the light, as he is in the light, we have fellowship with one another, and the blood of Jesus his Son cleanses us from all sin.
Heavenly Father, thank you for the chance to know you and walk with you.  Lord, please change the way I think and the things that I desire to match the way you think and what you desire.  Lord, please give me your compassion for other people, and help me shine brightly in this dark world so that others may know your love and experience your joy, peace, and kindess and walk with you in the Light.  I love you, Lord.  Please shine your light in me and through me today.  I ask in the name of Jesus Christ. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment