Friday, April 22, 2011

faithful servant

Luke 12:35-59

This passage gets me every time!

35 "Be dressed for service and keep your lamps burning, 36 as though you were waiting for your master to return from the wedding feast. Then you will be ready to open the door and let him in the moment he arrives and knocks. 37 The servants who are ready and waiting for his return will be rewarded. I tell you the truth, he himself will seat them, put on an apron, and serve them as they sit and eat! 38 He may come in the middle of the night or just before dawn. But whenever he comes, he will reward the servants who are ready.

42 And the Lord replied, "A faithful, sensible servant is one to whom the master can give the responsibility of managing his other household servants and feeding them. 43 If the master returns and finds that the servant has done a good job, there will be a reward. ... 48 ... When someone has been given much, much will be required in return; and when someone has been entrusted with much, even more will be required.

I want to live in conscious expectation of the Lord's return.  I want to be ready so that I can "open the door" for Him the moment He arrives.  I want my heart to leap in my chest when I see Him, not sink.  I want to be talking with Him and walking with Him in the Spirit as He arrives.  It seems to me that there is not much time left; we must live faithful lives and cooperate with Him to accomplish His will.

As I think about Christ's incredible sacrifice for us on Good Friday (today), what more have we been given than the mercy and love of Christ?  This is the most expensive and lavish gift of all; we must share this gift with others.  We must invest this Gospel in the lives of others! 

Heavenly Father, thank you for the incredible sacrifice that Jesus made.  Lord Jesus, thank you for giving up your own life to purchase my life.  Lord, thank you for loving me.  I want to love you in return, and I want to be a faithful servant.  Please help me accomplish all that you desire for me.  I love you, and I pray in the name of Jesus Christ, the Spotless Lamb who died to take away the sins of the world.

No comments:

Post a Comment