Friday, April 1, 2011

watching and waiting

Luke 2:1-24
10And the angel said to them, "Fear not, for behold, I bring you good news of great joy that will be for all the people. 11For unto you is born this day in the city of David a Savior, who is Christ the Lord.  ...  15When the angels went away from them into heaven, the shepherds said to one another, "Let us go over to Bethlehem and see this thing that has happened, which the Lord has made known to us." 16And they went with haste and found Mary and Joseph, and the baby lying in a manger. 17And when they saw it, they made known the saying that had been told them concerning this child. 18And all who heard it wondered at what the shepherds told them. 19But Mary treasured up all these things, pondering them in her heart. 20And the shepherds returned, glorifying and praising God for all they had heard and seen, as it had been told them.
Here they were, minding their own business, when out of no where, these angels show up and announce that the Messiah has been born in Bethlehem.  So they took off to go see the Baby, and sure enough, there He was.  Obviously they believed to some extent, because they went around telling everyone what they saw.
 
I'm just wondering what the shepherds did in the mean time.  Thirty years go by, and nothing has really changed.  "I thought they said this guy was the Messiah."  "You would think that we would have heard something by now." 
 
I wonder if when Jesus started His ministry 30 years later those shepherds realized that Jesus was the baby they had seen that star-lit night.  It is amazing to me that God wanted Jesus to live for 30 years before He began His ministry.  I am an engineer, so I think about efficiency pretty frequently, and I think it would have been more efficient if Jesus had lived only 20 years before He began His ministry.  As my Brother RF says, we are always trying to help God do a better job.
 
Heavenly Father, your plan is amazing and perfect, and you don't need any help from me.  Thank you for giving me the opportunity to cooperate with you and work with you in your Kingdom.  I want to listen to you, hear you, know you, and walk with you so that I will fulfill exactly what you want me to accomplish - even if it is not as soon or fast as I would like.  Heavenly Father, thank you for Jesus.  I am still amazed that you would send your own Son to be a real human so that we could know you again.  Thank you.  I love you.  Please help me walk with you today, knowing that Jesus Christ came so that I could walk with you today.  I ask in the name of Jesus Christ, who is Christ the Lord.  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment