Thursday, April 14, 2011

faith

Luke 8:26-56

Jesus was going to heal the daughter of Jairus (a local synagogue leader) when a lady reached out and touched his coat believing that she would be healed.  When she finally confessed her story and what she had done, Jesus responded:

48... "Daughter, your faith has made you well; go in peace."

Then when a messenger told Jairus that his daughter was dead, Jesus responded:

50... "Do not fear; only believe, and she will be well."

I think it is interesting that fear and faith are opposite exercises.  Well, maybe not quite.  Fear is a hopeless realization that you can't do anything to control the situation and you don't like it.  Faith is a hopeful realization that, while I can't do anything, God can do anything, and He will take care of us (and sometimes we still don't like the situation).  At least in these two instances, faith is not some abstract, ethereal concept, it is simply (1) searching and finding Jesus and (2) listening to Him and following Him.

Heavenly Father, thank you for your kindness and love through Jesus.  Please help me search and find Jesus.  Please help me listen and obey.  Lord, I want to exercise the faith that you have given me so that your Kingdom will expand.  Lord, please show me what you want me to do.  I love you, Lord, and I pray in the name of Jesus Christ.  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment