Saturday, July 21, 2007

best anniversary celebration yet

Prov. 21Matt. 21Rom. 13Rom. 14


My wife and I celebrated our anniversary yesterday, and we had a wonderful time. We had fun driving through downtown on our way to our favorite Mexican food restaurant (we received a gift card to this restaurant from my parents at Christmas, so we were excited about eating there for our anniversary).

When we arrived, the hostess informed us that there was a 45 minute wait, so we perused the menu and decided what we would have for dinner. Then my wife suggested that I open my gift. She gave me a very sweet and genuine card that was very special, and she told me that the enormous gift bag had several gifts inside it. (This is one of the most thoughtful gifts I've ever received; she told me that she has learned a lot about me since we were married, and she brainstormed items to give me in honor of those things she has learned about me.) She instructed me to draw them out one at a time, and she would explain the significance of each gift...
- Frisbee - we are both adventuresome and enjoy outdoor activities and having fun playing games
- package of socks - she enjoys and wants to take care of me, and she is glad that God has given her the opportunity to be my helpmate
- Unveiling Islam (Caner and Caner) - for my personal growth in Christ and encouragement as I seek the Lord's direction for our family
- automotive fuel treatment - she feels blessed that God has given me handyman skills to help our family and others with automotive maintainance
- precision mechanical pencils - I've been a collegiate engineering student the whole time we've been married
- coin-role wrappers (not Jamaican musicians) - she is thankful that I am frugal
- Easy Cheese - she knows I used to get it as a treat when I was a kid... and I'm pretty cheesy sometimes
- Frappuccinos; Toblerone and Ferrero Rocher chocolates - she thinks I have a sophisticated side, and she likes to treat me
- Corn Nuts - I have certain idiosyncrasies that she does not like, but she accepts me anyway
- photo album - she looks forward to the future that God has planned for us

All of these gifts were very sweet and thoughtful, but the most valuable gift she gave me was a bottle of Liquid Paper correction fluid. She told me that the Lord is so gracious that He is whiting out my past mistakes that have hurt her heart. I was sincerely moved, as was she, and I just held her there in the waiting area of that restaurant for a few moments, thanking and praising God that He is so merciful to forgive my sins, purify me, and bring healing to our souls. This is what is so sweet about a marriage centered around Christ - He is actively involved in our hearts and minds, sanctifying our relationships, and bringing the Father glory. The joy and peace of a Christ-centered marriage is indescribable; He gives us the strength to persevere and the abundant life He promises to those who trust Him.

Prayer
Heavenly Father, thank you for your Son, Jesus Christ, who not only died on the cross to pay the debt of my sins, but He lives in my heart today, and He works miracles in my marriage - all for your glory! Lord, I pray that you will continue to purify me and mold me into the husband you want me to be - an example of the Lord Jesus Christ. In the same way, I ask that you continue to work in my wife's heart to shape her into an example of the Church - the bride of Christ. Spirit, I pray that you will fill our marriage with your fruit, and that other people would be drawn to a relationship with you through the testimony of our life. Lord, I pray that you will lead us along the path of righteousness that you have planned for us, and may we always give you the praise and honor you so richly deserve. I pray this in the name of Jesus Christ. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment