Friday, July 27, 2007

religion versus utility

 
At the beginning of Matthew 27, Judas was remorseful when he realized that Jesus had been condemned to die, so he went to the temple to return the blood money (thirty pieces of silver):
4 "I have sinned," he declared, "for I have betrayed an innocent man." "What do we care?" they retorted. "That's your problem."   5 Then Judas threw the silver coins down in the Temple and went out and hanged himself.  6 The leading priests picked up the coins. "It wouldn't be right to put this money in the Temple treasury," they said, "since it was payment for murder."

Wow!  Look how steeped in religion those wicked priests and leaders were.  They were so deceived by their own religion that they would gladly murder Jesus, but they wouldn't accept blood money into the treasury!   That's where religion alone will take you - straight to hell.  I am reminded of James 1:26-27:

26If anyone considers himself religious and yet does not keep a tight rein on his tongue, he deceives himself and his religion is worthless. 27Religion that God our Father accepts as pure and faultless is this: to look after orphans and widows in their distress and to keep oneself from being polluted by the world.

Contrast the religion of the pharisees with the utility of Paul's life (i.e., his fulfilled purpose):

19Though I am free and belong to no man, I make myself a slave to everyone, to win as many as possible. 20To the Jews I became like a Jew, to win the Jews. To those under the law I became like one under the law (though I myself am not under the law), so as to win those under the law. 21To those not having the law I became like one not having the law (though I am not free from God's law but am under Christ's law), so as to win those not having the law. 22To the weak I became weak, to win the weak. I have become all things to all men so that by all possible means I might save some. 23I do all this for the sake of the gospel, that I may share in its blessings.

 24Do you not know that in a race all the runners run, but only one gets the prize? Run in such a way as to get the prize. 25Everyone who competes in the games goes into strict training. They do it to get a crown that will not last; but we do it to get a crown that will last forever. 26Therefore I do not run like a man running aimlessly; I do not fight like a man beating the air. 27No, I beat my body and make it my slave so that after I have preached to others, I myself will not be disqualified for the prize.

Prayer

Heavenly Father, thank you for Christ's substitutionary death, and thank you for stripping my own religion from me.  I pray that I would only have as much religion as you want me to have, and that it would be characterized by compassion, love, mercy, and faith.  Lord, please help me find my purpose in glorifying you and leading others to a saving knowledge of Jesus Christ.  Please help me run in such a way as to get the prize - disciplined, focused, purposeful.  Lord, may you receive all the glory from my life.  I pray this in the name of Christ Jesus.  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment