Monday, July 16, 2007

joyful person

Proverbs 16, Matthew 16, Romans 3, Romans 4
 
This is not really related to the scriptures I read today, but it's something on my mind.
 
My wife and I were discussing the Bible Life Group (Sunday School) lesson and the Pastor's sermon from yesterday, and I asked my wife how I can practically engage people around me in spiritual discussions.  She said it can be very easy on Mondays because you simply ask someone about their weekend, and then when they ask you about yours, you give them several details about what you learned that weekend.
 
The other thing she mentioned that really challenged me was being a joyful person.  We have some friends that are missionaries in Russia, and they are some of the sweetest people - overflowing with joy.  My wife and I want to be like them.  I need to consciously think not only about being positive and encouraging in the things I say, but in the way I act, so that people see Jesus's redeeming power at work in my life.
 
Prayer
Heavenly Father, thank you for helping me grow through Bible studies and comments from my wife.  Lord, please help me be a sincerely joyful person - not shallow happiness, but true joy that comes from knowing and loving you.  Father, fill me with your Spirit, and lead me on your path of righteousness.  Lord, I ask that you would use me to bring souls into your kingdom.  I pray this in the name of Jesus Christ.

2 comments:

  1. What's up Shane! This is Chris Rosckes in case you were wondering. I'm loving your blog and it really gets me on fire for the Lord when I read it.

    Here is some scripture to back up why the Holy Spirit is wanting you to be a joyful person.

    Proverbs 17:22 (NIV)
    A cheerful heart is good medicine, but a crushed spirit dries up the bones.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's great to hear from you. Thanks for the encouraging note. Indeed, a cheerful heart is good medicine, and you have helped me be cheerful this morning (I'm running low on sleep, so this is not an insignificant contribution to my welfare.)

    Keep the Faith, Brother!

    ReplyDelete