Thursday, July 19, 2007

salvific exclusivity

Prov. 19
Matt. 19

Rom. 9
Rom. 10

I had a great time catching up with a buddy over dinner last night. He brought up the Pope's recent statement that all non-Roman Catholic denominations are defective and unable to provide salvation. First of all, salvation belongs to the LORD ( i.e, Jehovah, Jesus, & Spirit), not to any man or church! Second, salvation is extended from the LORD to anyone who places their eternal salvation in the sacrificial work of Jesus, the Christ. Albert Mohler provides an outstanding explanation of the implications of this statement - No, I'm Not Offended.

"Coincidentally," I came through Romans 9 and 10 this morning which ties in perfectly, and I have selected a few of the pillar verses that explain the salvation situation precisely:

9:30 What does all this mean? Even though the Gentiles were not trying to follow
God's standards, they were made right with God. And it was by faith that this
took place. 31 But the people of Israel, who tried so hard to get right with God
by keeping the law, never succeeded. 32 Why not? Because they were trying to get
right with God by keeping the law instead of by trusting in him. They stumbled
over the great rock in their path. 33 God warned them of this in the Scriptures
when he said,
"I am placing a stone in Jerusalem that
makes people stumble, a rock that makes them
fall. But anyone who trusts in
him will never be disgraced."
10:1 Dear
brothers and sisters, the longing of my heart and my prayer to God is for the
people of Israel to be saved. 2 I know what enthusiasm they have for God, but it
is misdirected zeal. 3 For they don't understand God's way of making people
right with himself. Refusing to accept God's way, they cling to their own way of
getting right with God by trying to keep the law. 4 For Christ has already
accomplished the purpose for which the law was given. As a result, all who
believe in him are made right with God. ... 9 If you confess with your mouth
that Jesus is Lord and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead,
you will be saved. 10 For it is by believing in your heart that you are made
right with God, and it is by confessing with your mouth that you are saved. 11
As the Scriptures tell us, "Anyone who trusts in him will never be disgraced."
12 Jew and Gentile are the same in this respect. They have the same Lord, who
gives generously to all who call on him. 13 For "Everyone who calls on the name
of the L ord will be saved."

So, how does this apply to me, since I already believe this? Well, the following few verses engage the personal challenge:

14 But how can they call on him to save them unless they believe in him? And
how can they believe in him if they have never heard about him? And how can they
hear about him unless someone tells them? 15 And how will anyone go and tell
them without being sent? That is why the Scriptures say, "How beautiful are the
feet of messengers who bring good news!"


Prayer Heavenly Father, thank you for offering salvation to everyone in the world through Jesus's death on the cross to pay the penalty of sin. Lord, thank you that anyone can come to you through faith for eternal salvation. Lord, I praise you for your goodness, kindness, love, mercy, and grace. Now, Father, I pray that you will send me to tell those who have not heard the Good News message of Jesus Christ! Father, I pray that the people around me would hear the Gospel message and would believe and repent. Lord, I pray for my friends around me, and especially the friend I met with last night, that they would see your overwhelming love and kindness that is explained in the Bible and demonstrated in my life. I pray this in the name of Jesus Christ. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment