Monday, February 23, 2009

delight

Psalm 54, Proverbs 23

When I read this verse in Proverbs this morning,

 26 O my son, give me your heart.
      May your eyes take delight in following my ways.

I immediately began to pray that I would focus on Him and that I would delight in His beauty and not in any of the worldly junk around me.  I realized that the world is competing for the focus of our eyes, and once we are distracted, the Enemy deceives us into delighting in those worthless and hurtful things.  In fact, the very next verse gives an example:

 27 A prostitute is a dangerous trap;
      a promiscuous woman is as dangerous as falling into a narrow well.

Depending on your spiritual condition, something like prostitution might not be distracting.  The tough thing about it is, the Enemy is very subtle.  For instance, this weekend the thing that has subtly distracted me is a new laptop computer which came in this week, but it wasn't formatted properly, so I haven't been able to use it.  My impatience and materialism has distracted me from enjoying Christ to the fullest.

Prayer
Heavenly Father, please forgive me for being materialistic.  Lord, please deliver me.  Thank you for exposing the condition of my heart; I pray that you will help me turn my eyes to you and delight only in you.  I pray that I will be humble and wise.  Lord, I want to honor you.  Thank you for your many blessings.  May the words of my mouth and the meditation of my heart be pleasing in your sight, O LORD, my Rock and my Redeemer.  I pray this in the name of Jesus Christ. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment