Tuesday, February 24, 2009

cast your cares

Psalm 55, Proverbs 24

At the start of a worship service, I have heard people say something like, "Many of us came in here with burdens and distractions of this world.  Let's not think about those things right now so that we can focus on God."  The thing is, I don't think that concept is Biblical.  We don't clean up and then come to God, we come to God through Jesus Christ, and He cleans us up.  Sure, I can appreciate the point that we need to focus on Christ, and we will see everything else in the light of His love.  But as for the burdens of our heart and the troubles of our minds, I think Scripture calls us to honestly and humble cry out to God for deliverance and healing:

Psalm 55
 16 But I will call on God,
      and the Lord will rescue me.
 17 Morning, noon, and night
      I cry out in my distress,
      and the Lord hears my voice.
 18 He ransoms me and keeps me safe
      from the battle waged against me,
      though many still oppose me. ...
 22 Give your burdens to the Lord,
      and he will take care of you.

      He will not permit the godly to slip and fall.


1 Peter 5
5Young men, in the same way be submissive to those who are older. All of you, clothe yourselves with humility toward one another, because, "God opposes the proud but gives grace to the humble." 6Humble yourselves, therefore, under God's mighty hand, that he may lift you up in due time. 7Cast all your anxiety on him because he cares for you. 8Be self-controlled and alert. Your enemy the devil prowls around like a roaring lion looking for someone to devour. 9Resist him, standing firm in the faith, because you know that your brothers throughout the world are undergoing the same kind of sufferings. 10And the God of all grace, who called you to his eternal glory in Christ, after you have suffered a little while, will himself restore you and make you strong, firm and steadfast. 11To him be the power for ever and ever. Amen.

Prayer
Heavenly Father, thank you for being so kind and gracious.  Lord, you are so loving and compassionate.  I pray that I will come as I am before you and trust you to take care of me.  Lord, please expose those things which weigh me down, and may I give those things to you.  Lord, I love you, and I want to have a close relationship with you.  I trust you with my burdens, and I know that you love me and care for me.  Thank you for proving your love through the death and resurrection of Jesus Christ, in whose name I pray.  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment