Monday, February 9, 2009

enjoyment

Psalm 40, Proverbs 9

I usually think of wisdom as very logical, binary, black and white.  But one of the things I noticed in Proverbs 9 this morning is that there is enjoyment associated with wisdom:

5 "Come, eat my food,
      and drink the wine I have mixed.
6 Leave your simple ways behind, and begin to live;
      learn to use good judgment."

I think the food and wine speak of enjoying the Lord and the benefits of knowing Him.  King David spoke of these joys of knowing the Lord:

4 Oh, the joys of those who trust the Lord, ...
8 I take joy in doing your will, my God,
      for your instructions are written on my heart." ...
16 But may all who search for you
      be filled with joy and gladness in you.
   May those who love your salvation
      repeatedly shout, "The Lord is great!"

I need the Lord to soften my heart and fill me with joy.  I need Him to help me see the wonder of His salvation and the wonder of knowing Him.

Prayer
Heavenly Father, thank you for saving me from my self, from sin, and from death.  Lord, thank you for rescuing me.  Lord, you are so good, and your love endures forever.  Father, please turn my heart toward you and away from the things of this world.  Lord, please deliver me from pride and let me enjoy you more completely today.  I ask this in the name of Jesus Christ. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment