Saturday, February 21, 2009

long week

Psalm 52, Proverbs 21

Wednesday morning, my advising professor, Mike (another student in my research group) and I left the school at 6:45 and drove to south Texas to collect some water samples for our research experimentation.  Mike is also a Believer, and on Tuesday, we had prayed that the Lord would give us good opportunity to visit with our professor.  During the six hour ride down to Harlingen, we discussed technical matters related to our research and then I asked my professor about how he got into environmental engineering.  It was very interesting to learn of his background, which I had not heard before.  When we arrived, we collected samples and promptly headed back to Austin.  On the ride back, we had more technical discussion, and then near the end, we had a great philosophical/theological discussion.  We each shared a brief summary of what we believe, and I feel like I know my advisor much more personally now.  I am thankful to the Lord that He gave me opportunity to be His witness (martyr).

Thursday morning, my wife and I drove to my grandparents' house for my Granddaddy's funeral.  It was good to see our family, and I was glad to see that my Grandmother was handling it well.  We were able to view his body at the funeral home before the funeral, and as my Grandmother had warned us, his body didn't look like my Granddaddy.  I realized that it was because he had lived a life full of the joy of the Lord - he had lived with the spirit of the Living God inside him!  At his funeral, we were given the opportunity to share a few words, and I shared how I felt with Matthew 25:23 applied to my Granddaddy:

His master said to him, 'Well done, good and faithful servant. You have been faithful over a little; I will set you over much. Enter into the joy of your master.'

Friday morning, my wife and I drove back to Austin, and I was able to hear a presentation from Dr. Tony Fane, an internationally renowned membrane technology treatment researcher.  His presentation was very encouraging for me, and I felt that what he said confirmed the value of my research.  After the presentation, I had opportunity to visit with him and discuss some of the technical advances related to the area of my research.

This morning, as I read Proverbs 21, I feel the tension between doing and being.  I have many responsibilities these days, and sometimes I feel overwhelmed.  But I know that I must trust His sovereignty:

1 The king's heart is like a stream of water directed by the Lord;
      he guides it wherever he pleases.
31 The horse is prepared for the day of battle,
      but the victory belongs to the Lord.

Prayer
Heavenly Father, please direct my heart to you.  Lord, please guide me to you.  Father, I pray that you will be what I desire.  I pray that the Lord Jesus will be the treasure that I seek. Please help me rest in you; help me be who I am and not get distracted by doing a bunch of stuff.  Lord, I trust that you will give me the victory in Christ Jesus.  May I walk in the power of your Holy Spirit.  I pray this in the name of Jesus Christ.  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment