Wednesday, June 24, 2009

accountability

Proverbs 24

I was really convicted by these verses this morning:

 11 Rescue those who are unjustly sentenced to die;
      save them as they stagger to their death.
 12 Don't excuse yourself by saying, "Look, we didn't know."
      For God understands all hearts, and he sees you.
   He who guards your soul knows you knew.
      He will repay all people as their actions deserve.

I have always read this with a physical/literal perspective, but this morning, I was convicted by the spiritual significance.  Of course, we are all condemned to death justly because we have each sinned against the Holy God (Rom. 3:23, 6:23).  But the reality is that so many people are staggering to their spiritual death because they have not heard and seen the Gospel of Jesus Christ from us.  And we lazy (American) Christians try to pretend that we don't know about it so that we can sit in our comfortable homes and watch television instead of sacrificially investing in people.  The truth is, God will hold us accountable; and it will be embarrassing to see all of the resources and opportunities we selfishly wasted.

Heavenly Father, please forgive me for being such a lazy Christian.  Lord, please convict me of my apathy and selfishness.  Father, I want to be a devoted disciple of Christ; please help me.  Lord, please show me the resources that you have given me to use for your Kingdom, and please help me seize the opportunities you give me.  Holy Spirit, give me boldness to be a witness of the mercy and love of God.  I pray in the name of Jesus Christ. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment