Thursday, June 18, 2009

iterative convergence

Psalm 148, Proverbs 18

Pr. 18 20 Wise words satisfy like a good meal;
      the right words bring satisfaction.

 21 The tongue can bring death or life;
      those who love to talk will reap the consequences.

I read it over and over, and I get just a little better at it every time.  I wish that I could simply read it, understand it, and obey it, but somehow it's not that simple.  I do believe that the Lord has grown me considerably in terms of the character of my speech, but I still need to grow.  In terms of removing evil from my speech, it's like a 1/t function; and in terms of increasing good in my speech, it is like a log(t) function - the marginal improvement feels like it gets smaller with time.

What should my speech look like anyway?  I am reminded of the passage in James 3.

Ps. 148 13 Let them all praise the name of the Lord.
      For his name is very great;
      his glory towers over the earth and heaven!
 14 He has made his people strong,
      honoring his faithful ones—
      the people of Israel who are close to him.

   Praise the Lord!

Heavenly Father, I praise you because you are supreme.  Lord, you have rescued me from the slimy mud pit, and you have put my feet on the Rock.  Lord, please put a new song in my mouth - a hymn of praise to you.  Lord, you are worthy.  It is easy for me to say, but Lord, would you please put it in my heart.  I pray that I will genuinely overflow with praises for you because you are so good.  May others see your goodness in my life, and may the words of my mouth continue to progressively emulate yours.  I pray this in the name of Jesus Christ.  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment