Friday, June 5, 2009

prerogative

Psalm 135, Proverbs 5

 5 I know the greatness of the Lord
      that our Lord is greater than any other god.
 6 The Lord does whatever pleases him
      throughout all heaven and earth,
      and on the seas and in their depths.

I know this concept is communicated through the Scriptures as a whole, but I love concise, explicit statements like this.  The Lord God is the only supreme in the universe, which gives Him authority over everything.  He is also sovereign over all of creation, which means He has the power to control things.  And I really love the implication of these two attributes - it means that He does whatever He wants, when He wants.  It is His prerogative.  And we know that the Lord is always morally good (it is intrinsic to His character), so everything He desires to do (and consequently does) is fundamentally good.

Heavenly Father, I praise you because you are the greatest and because you are good.  Lord, I want to join you in your good work of redeeming mankind to yourself.  Father, may I please you, and may it please you to use me to bring honor to your name.  I pray this in the name of Jesus Christ.  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment