Thursday, June 4, 2009

blessings

Psalm 134, Proverbs 4

 1 Oh, praise the Lord, all you servants of the Lord,
      you who serve at night in the house of the Lord.
 2 Lift up holy hands in prayer,
      and praise the Lord.

 3 May the Lord, who made heaven and earth,
      bless you from [Zion].

Most fundamentally, we are created to bless the Lord - in the things we say and do.  He desires us to be holy and sanctified to Him in our praise.   But of course, because of the Lord's kind character, He blesses us, also.  In fact, we are blessed to know Him and blessed to have opportunity to praise Him. 

I was considering the significance of the "night watchmen" in verse one.  First of all, we who are in Christ are a part of a royal priesthood with Christ, ministering to the Lord and ministering the Lord to lost humanity.  Secondly, I think the Church is ministering "in the night", but we are so close to the dawn - the return of Christ.  We must be vigilant in this brief time remaining!  Let's not waste any time!

Heavenly Father, I praise you because you are worthy to be praised.  Night and day I should shout your praises!  Please forgive me for being so complacent, and please replace my apathetic and ignorant complacency with a holy zeal to know you and praise you!  Please give me a passion to see your name praised among all nations, tribes, and tongues.  Father, please give me clean hands and a pure heart; wholly devoted to you and your service.  Lord, give me a sense of urgency and a boldness to proclaim the Truth and Hope of the Gospel of Jesus Christ.  Lord, please bless me, my wife, and my son.  Please empower me to serve my family in a way that honors you, and bless them through me.  Please involve me in your good work.  I pray this in the name of Jesus Christ. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment