Wednesday, June 3, 2009

unity

Psalm 133, Proverbs 3

Another short Psalm:

 1 How wonderful and pleasant it is
      when brothers live together in harmony!
 2 For harmony is as precious as the anointing oil
      that was poured over Aaron's head,
      that ran down his beard
      and onto the border of his robe.
 3 Harmony is as refreshing as the dew from Mount Hermon
      that falls on the mountains of Zion.
   And there the Lord has pronounced his blessing,
      even life everlasting.

One of my former disciplers made a point that stuck with me.  He said that many Christians are so bent on pointing out heresies and hypocrisies in others that they are willing to divide.  They think that they are doing what is right by rejecting what is wrong.  The problem is that we are all heretics and hypocrites, and we are tragically ignorant of it within ourselves.  Thus, to preserve unity IS right doctrine and right practice.  Through unity, we experience the Lord; it is a promise of grace - the presence of the Perfect and Most Holy Creator dwelling among imperfect creatures:

20For where two or three are gathered in my name, there am I among them." Matthew 18:20 (ESV)

The anointing oil in verse 2 reminds me of the presence of the Holy Spirit - covering the whole Body.  The dew from Mount Hermon reminds me of the presence of the Holy Spirit - watering the soil of our hearts and producing the Fruit of the Spirit in our lives.  This is the blessing of eternal life - to experience God and express Him - which is practically accomplished corporately through the unity of the Body.

Heavenly Father, thank you for choosing me to be a part of the Body of Christ.  Thank you for my Brothers and Sisters throughout time and around the world.  Please forgive me where I have caused devision.  Please make me an agent of reconciliation.  I pray that you will deliver us from denominationalism, and may we be united in the Truth of your Word.  Lord, please deliver us from selfish and proud interpretations and biases.  May we be unified to experience your presence and to communicate you to the lost and dying world around us.  Heavenly Father, I ask for unity in the Body of Christ, for your glory and honor.  May we be genuine and gracious - extending the love and forgiveness that you have shown us.  Lord, humble us with the ugliness and shame of division among your Body.  I pray in the name of Jesus Christ.  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment