Saturday, February 24, 2007

betrayal and Identity

John 18
A subtlety was revealed to me this morning: verse 4 discloses that Jesus was fully aware of all that was about to occur in the garden (btw - isn't it interesting that here lies another Betrayal in a Garden?), so he asks the arriving mob whom they seek, to which they reply, "Jesus of Nazareth." Jesus declares, "I AM," and "they drew back and fell to the ground." Jesus declared himself the same identity as the Covenant God who brought the Israelites out of Egypt, and the people were knocked over by the intense power of the Truth. (In my mind, I see it similar to a scene from the end of the first Matrix movie when Neo goes back into the Matrix and flexes in front of the sentinels and the walls bow out to accommodate his non-linear existence.) Indeed, the most fundamental identity words of the God-Man are so intense that the creation shutters.

Prayer
Lord Jesus, help me know You. Please reveal to me your character and heart. Change the desires of my heart to match yours. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment