Thursday, February 15, 2007

true sight

John 9
I love the "imagery" in this passage. Jesus heals a man that was born blind, and "sends" him to preach the Good News through his personal experience with Christ. First of all, I think Jesus's instructions for him to go wash in the "Sent Pool" is symbolic of baptism, and this illustrates that baptism is a critical step of obedience in Faith. After the man is healed, the Pharisees interrogate him, and he defends the sinless nature of Christ and Jesus's authority from God. This is a beautiful and simple testimony of God's mercy and grace when he says, "I can't explain how this happened because that's what miracles are - unexplainable! All I know is, I was BORN BLIND, but Jesus healed me so that NOW I CAN SEE!" After the man's interview with the religious leaders, Jesus catches up with him and asks him if he believes in the Son of Man. This illustrates that this physical blind/sight business is just a picture of the more significant spiritual condition:

35 When Jesus heard what had happened, he found the man and asked, “Do you believe in the Son of Man?”
36 The man answered, “Who is he, sir? I want to believe in him.”
37 “You have seen him,” Jesus said, “and he is speaking to you!”
38 “Yes, Lord, I believe!” the man said. And he worshiped Jesus.
39 Then Jesus told him, “I entered this world to render judgment—to give sight to the blind and to show those who think they see that they are blind.”
40 Some Pharisees who were standing nearby heard him and asked, “Are you saying we’re blind?”
41 “If you were blind, you wouldn’t be guilty,” Jesus replied. “But you remain guilty because you claim you can see. (NLT)


Prayer
Heavenly Father, thank you for revealing to me the identity of Christ Jesus. Thank you for authoring my Faith in Him. Lord, help me be a bold witness of your mercy and grace as this blind man was. Lord, help me lead others to a personal relationship with Christ Jesus through my words, actions, and lifestyle. Lord, please do not let me become religious and think that I know everything about you, but keep me humble and seeking your Truth. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment