Friday, February 23, 2007

unity

John 17
Jesus begins His prayer to the Father, and then speaking about the Father, He defines ETERNAL LIFE, "...He gives eternal life to each one you have given him. 3 And this is the way to have eternal life—to know you, the only true God, and Jesus Christ, the one you sent to earth."

In the remainder of the prayer, I see three emphases of unity:
1) Christ's unity with the Father
2) Our unity with God the Trinity
3) Our unity with all Believers

Question: Are the many Christian denominations consistent with Christ's emphasis on unity? Do denominations glorify Christ? Clearly scripture teaches us to reject false doctrines, but what threshold concentration of heresy in someone's doctrine justifies forming a new church or denomination?

Prayer
Lord Jesus, I praise you for your mysterious unity with the Father and the Holy Spirit. I praise you that I can not understand the Trinity. Lord, help me be in unity with you, and help me abide in you as your words abide in me. Lord, help me be in unity with the Church, that I will fulfill my role in Your Body. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment