Tuesday, February 20, 2007

obedience

John 14
There are a couple of interesting points from this chapter that I just noticed. First, the context is Jesus with the disciples in the upper room just before the crucifixion, and this chapter begins just after Jesus tells Peter that he will deny Him. Jesus reassures them that they all know where He is going and that they know the "way." I love Thomas's honest (but quite frank) vent and Jesus's reply:

5 “No, we don’t know, Lord,” Thomas said. “We have no idea where you are going, so how can we know the way?”
6 Jesus told him, “I am the way, the truth, and the life. No one can come to the Father except through me. 7 If you had really known me, you would know who my Father is. From now on, you do know him and have seen him!”

I have quoted verse 6 many times, but now I know the context and it means so much more. I had always envisioned Jesus yelling verse 6 at a thronging mass of people, but it was spoken to a private dozen that supposedly should have known it already. Following this classic statement, Jesus explains that if you've seen Jesus, you've seen the Father. Another instance where Christ claims to be the Son of God.

The other main point I noticed is Christ's emphasis on obedience/works. Here is a sampling:
12 “I tell you the truth, anyone who believes in me will do the same works I have done, and even greater works, because I am going to be with the Father.
15 “If you love me, obey my commandments.
21 Those who accept my commandments and obey them are the ones who love me.
And because they love me, my Father will love them. And I will love them and reveal myself to each of them.”
23 Jesus replied, “All who love me will do what I say. My Father will love them, and we will come and make our home with each of them. 24 Anyone who doesn’t love me will not obey me.
I grew up in a church that emphasizes "Salvation by Grace through Faith," but sometimes I wonder if we don't take enough time to make the distinction between Justification, Sanctification, and Glorification. I believe that Scripture clearly teaches that God is solely responsible for Justification. Sanctification, however, involves a mysterious/miraculous/supernatural combination of God's Will and the Believer's that is characterized by Fruit (good works) as we become more like Him. So the frictional question is: Does it sound like Jesus is talking about your life in the aforementioned verses?

Prayer
Lord Jesus, thank you for redeeming my life and continuously revealing yourself to me. Please help me obey your commands and produce Fruit, to the Glory of the Father. I love you, Lord, and I want to obey you. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment