Thursday, February 1, 2007

Wisdom is Christ

Proverbs 1
The introduction of this chapter explains the purpose of these proverbs - that we become wise, fear the Lord, and obey Him. The second part of this chapter is a father encouraging his son (which I might also reflect on as The Father instructing me) to listen to wisdom and stay away from evil. The third part of this chapter is a personification of wisdom calling out to the general population to listen and obey. I recently made the connection of Wisdom to the Lord Jesus Christ, as explained in I Corinthians 1:18-31, particularly verse 24 which states:
"But to those called by God to salvation, both Jews and Gentiles, Christ is the
power of God and the wisdom of God."

You see, Christ Jesus is the wisdom of God, so remember that as you read Proverbs - Christ's mind is explained ALL OVER Proverbs!

Luke 20
The discussions in Luke 20 crack me up. The Pharisees and the Sadducees each come up with questions for Jesus trying to get Him to say something that they could use to bring charges against Him. As you know, there is NO ERROR in Christ, so they were dumbfounded by His PERFECT responses. Furthermore, He asks them a question that basically drives them to decide whether or not He is Who He says He is, and they bail out with the lame, "Duh, I don't know." response. Then, in verses 45-47, Jesus publicly humiliates the religious leaders for their hypocrisy. Another example that Jesus is less concerned about what you know, and more concerned about Who you Know and how you live your life to prove that you Know Him.

I was reminded of this analogy that Paul uses several times: reading your Bible and growing in knowledge of the Lord is like eating food, and doing good deeds and living out your faith is like exercising. So, make sure you are exercising, or you will get fat (the Pharisees were religiously fat).

Prayer
Lord Jesus, thank you for giving me Faith and calling me to follow you. Thank you for the privilege of knowing You. Please teach me your mind of Wisdom as I study Proverbs, and please teach me to live out my Faith with fear and trembling.

No comments:

Post a Comment