Tuesday, February 6, 2007

stuff God hates

Proverbs 6
I don't like starting with negative stuff, but verses 16-19 detail a list of things that the LORD hates, and that sounds pretty serious to me:
16 There are six things the Lord hates— no, seven things he detests: 17 haughty eyes, a lying tongue, hands that kill the innocent, 18 a heart that plots evil, feet that race to do wrong, 19 a false witness who pours out lies, a person who sows discord in a family.

Now, it appears as though 3 of the 7 hated things involve speech (lying, false witness, discord). To emphasize the significance, 42.8% of the things God HATES involve improper use of speech. This makes me think that I should be VERY CAREFUL about what I say. Furthermore, I think the imagery is interesting in the other 4 hated things: eyes, hands, heart, and feet. I'm getting a picture of a whole person who is prideful, deceptive, malicious, evil, eager to sin, filthy, and argumentative. Praise the Lord that He has called me to be one of His own children and is changing me from this man listed in Proverbs 6 into a man that reflects His Person (Rom. 8:28-29)! It is only by His Grace and Mercy (Ephesians 2:1-10, Titus 3:1-8)!

Prayer
Lord Jesus, thank you for rescuing me from a life of destruction and calling me to be a child of God. Please mold me into your image that I may glorify your name and bless you, by your own perfect Grace and Mercy!

No comments:

Post a Comment