Friday, February 2, 2007

Wisdom is Christ

Proverbs 2
This is one of my favorite chapters in Proverbs because it extends the implications of Chapter 1. Verses 1-4 tell us how hard we should be searching for wisdom, and verses 5-8 explain what happens when we do. I think the key is in verse 5: "Then you will understand what it means to fear the Lord, and you will gain knowledge of God." I believe the Christian life is characterized by an intimate/personal relationship with God (Father, Son, Holy Spirit), and here Proverbs 2 explains that if you search diligently for wisdom (i.e., the Mind of Christ), you will humbly fear Him (because Has the right to nullify your existence because of your spiritual insurrection) and accept the Son's sacrificial atonement for your sin (i.e., the only way to know God). Then, the remainder of the chapter explains, consequently, how you will LIVE. Specifically, you will have good spiritual discernment, make wise choices and be safe, stay away from the ways of the wicked, and avoid sexual sin. You will "stay on the path of the righteous" and live in the land God has promised (i.e., you will live out his "good, pleasing, and perfect will").

Luke 21
The first few verses are about a widow who gives an offering at the temple worth only a few cents, but Christ compliments her gift because it was all she had. I speculate how many people gave very large gifts (and some of them may have even been a large proportion of their income), but Christ was not impressed with those people because of the condition of their heart. Christ was pleased with this widow's gift because she gave up herself entirely to the Lord's Salvation. She had Faith that God would provide her every need. You see, Christ is concerned with the totality of our existence, not just a tenth. He wants ALL of me.
The remainder of the chapter is about the end times. Christ gives several details about how it will look before/when it happens. As Christ instructs, I pray that I don't have to be here when everything goes nuts.

Prayer
Lord Jesus, I know that you are the Wisdom of God, and your ways and thoughts are perfect. Please give me the desire to search earnestly for wisdom. Lord, please reveal yourself to me, because I know you will show yourself to me when I search for you with all my heart. Help me search for you with all my heart. Help me love you with all of my heart, mind, soul, and strength. Lord, teach me to walk in your ways and avoid every hint of immorality. Lord, lead me to Faith to trust you with my whole life that I will give you my ALL. I pray this in the precious name of our Lord and Saviour, Jesus Christ. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment