Wednesday, February 14, 2007

Valentine

John 8
I have heard verse 32 quoted many times, but now I see the context:
31To the Jews who had believed him, Jesus said, "If you hold to my
teaching, you are really my disciples. 32Then you will know the truth, and the
truth will set you free." (NIV)

It seems to me that Jesus was not referring to the "truth" as an academic knowledge, but a practical obedience to His teaching. This reminds me of Romans 12:1-2:
1I call upon you, therefore, brethren, through the compassions of God, to
present your bodies a sacrifice -- living, sanctified, acceptable to God -- your
intelligent service;
2and be not conformed to this age, but be
transformed by the renewing of your mind, for your proving what [is] the will of
God -- the good, and acceptable, and perfect. (YLT)

I am also reminded of John 15:10:
10"If you keep My commandments, you will abide in My love; just as I
have kept My Father's commandments and abide in His love. (NASB)

Prayer
Lord Jesus, help me obey your teaching and remain in your love. I want to prove that Your Will is perfect. Jesus, please be gracious to me for Your Name's sake.

No comments:

Post a Comment