Sunday, February 11, 2007

honesty

Proverbs 11
There are many verses in this chapter about the content/character of our speech (e.g., honesty, lying, gossiping, stirring up trouble, integrity, etc.). According to my interpretation, 11 verses(approximately one-third of the chapter) deal with speech. I think the concepts are simply generalized in verse 19: "Godly people find life; evil people find death."

Luke 16
Verses 9-13 are self-explanatory:
9 Here’s the lesson: Use your worldly resources to benefit others and make
friends. Then, when your earthly possessions are gone, they will welcome you to
an eternal home.
10 “If you are faithful in little things, you will be faithful in
large ones. But if you are dishonest in little things, you won’t be honest with
greater responsibilities. 11 And if you are untrustworthy about worldly wealth,
who will trust you with the true riches of heaven? 12 And if you are not
faithful with other people’s things, why should you be trusted with things of
your own?
13 “No one can serve two masters. For you will hate one and
love the other; you will be devoted to one and despise the other. You cannot
serve both God and money.”

Prayer
Lord Jesus, please help me be conscious of my speech and only say things that glorify You. Please teach me to be a good steward of the resources you have placed in my charge. Help me be kingdom focused, and not selfish, in my spending.

No comments:

Post a Comment