Friday, May 4, 2007

giving Him my all

 
I had a great conversation with a Brother last night.  He genuinely wants to grow in his relationship with Christ, and just visiting with him really humbled me about my own personal growth.  The truth is, I will never be at the point where I should be.  It is like the kinetics of chemical reaction - the greater the "distance" the current solution is from equilibrium, the faster that solution will progress toward equilibrium.  Of course, as I am faithful to follow the Christ's lordship in my life, He will reveal the good things I need to implement and the bad things I need to shed (sanctification) so that I can ultimately be in equilibrium with Him (glorification).  This resounds with Proverbs 4:18:
 
18 The way of the righteous is like the first gleam of dawn,
      which shines ever brighter until the full light of day.
 
The story of the widow's offering at the beginning of Luke really cuts me to the heart.  I want to demonstrate the faith that she did by giving her all to Jesus.  Do I really trust Him with my all ?  Would I be willing to be earthly destitute so that I could be full of faith in Christ? ("Blessed are the poor in spirit, for theirs is the kingdom of God." Matt. 5:3)
 
Luke 21 was also particularly interesting this morning.  Every time I read escatalogical scripture, I get the feeling that we are not so far away as many people imagine.  I know we can run away with stretching and bending the scripture to fit current events (like using a hammer to "solve" a jig-saw puzzle), but I really sense we are drawing near.  The end may come in the next 10 years, or maybe the next 100 years, but I sincerely think, from the perspective of all of history, we are on the cusp of the "birth pains" of the end.
 
James is one of my favorite books because of how he just comes right out and tells you how it is (well, I guess the whole Bible is really like this, but I especially like the way it is in James).  James 1:21-27 ties back in to what I was discussing with my Brother yesterday evening:
 
21 So get rid of all the filth and evil in your lives, and humbly accept the word God has planted in your hearts, for it has the power to save your souls.  22 But don't just listen to God's word. You must do what it says. Otherwise, you are only fooling yourselves. 23 For if you listen to the word and don't obey, it is like glancing at your face in a mirror. 24 You see yourself, walk away, and forget what you look like. 25 But if you look carefully into the perfect law that sets you free, and if you do what it says and don't forget what you heard, then God will bless you for doing it.
 
Prayer
Heavenly Father, thank you for speaking through your Holy Spirit to convict us of sin and to lead us to obedient lives.  Lord, I want to give you all of me and trust you to do whatever you want with my life for your glory.  God I pray that you will be Lord of my marriage, family, work, friends, recreation, finances, goals, decisions, physical health, and everything else.  I thank you for tearing out my heart of stone and replacing it with a soft heart that is sensitive to your Lordship, and I pray that you will regenerate my mind through the washing of your Word.  May I live a changed life that is noticeably different from the world, and may I be bold about sharing with others the powerful and life-changing Gospel message of Christ Jesus.  It is in His name I pray.  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment