Saturday, May 19, 2007

spiritual pursuit

 
I was very encouraged by a meeting with a Brother today.  We talked about several things, and I realized several things the Lord is teaching me right now.  First, I need to be very careful not to focus on how "good" I'm doing with my own spiritual growth.  It is easy to become prideful about the religious things I'm doing (reading my Bible, memorizing scripture, going to church, discipling other men, etc.).  It is in the subtle pride that Satan gains influence.  I must be very careful to consistently pray that the Lord will humble me.  In the same way that we may never take a day off in our spiritual growth, we must seek more humility in every experience.  "God sets himself against the proud, but he shows favor to the humble." (James 4:6)
 
The second thing I really appreciate from our discussion is that God's Word is true, so I must rest in the comfort of God's sovereignty.  Proverbs 3:5-6 has really impressed me recently.  I am still unsure what I should be specifically researching regarding my PhD dissertation, and I don't really know where God is going to lead us after I graduate (several years away), but today I really focused on trusting God's promise that He will direct my path as I trust Him with all my heart.
 
Prayer
Heavenly Father, thank you for the promises in your Word.  Lord, please continue to humble me; show me my pride, and show me my sin so that I can repent.  I want to throw off everything that hinders and the sin that so easily entangles.  Please help me run with perseverance the race marked out for me.  Lord, I want to seek you with all my heart.  Please give me specific guidance.  Please help me be the man you want me to be.  I ask this in the name of Jesus Christ.  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment