Friday, May 18, 2007

another opportunity to believe

Proverbs 18, John 11, Revelation 8, Revelation 9

Jesus purposefully waited for Lazarus to die "for the glory of God." (John 11:4) Also, it was another opportunity for the disciples to grow in their faith.

14 So he told them plainly, "Lazarus is dead. 15 And for your sakes, I'm glad I wasn't there, for now you will really believe. Come, let's go see him."

In that context, what especially fascinated me this morning was the dialogue between Jesus and Martha.

20 When Martha got word that Jesus was coming, she went to meet him. But Mary stayed in the house. 21 Martha said to Jesus, "Lord, if only you had been here, my brother would not have died. 22 But even now I know that God will give you whatever you ask." 23 Jesus told her, "Your brother will rise again." 24 "Yes," Martha said, "he will rise when everyone else rises, at the last day." 25 Jesus told her, "I am the resurrection and the life. Anyone who believes in me will live, even after dying. 26 Everyone who lives in me and believes in me will never ever die. Do you believe this, Martha?" 27 "Yes, Lord," she told him. "I have always believed you are the Messiah, the Son of God, the one who has come into the world from God."

Here is yet another illustration where God allows troubling things to happen in order to provoke more faith. The Scriptures are full of these situations. The question is, how will I respond in the trials God leads me through? Will I seek Him, to know Him more deeply?

Prayer
Heavenly Father,
Thank you for showing through your Scriptures that you care more about my spiritual health than my physical comfort. Jesus, please help me focus on who you are - the Resurrection and the Life! Lord, I believe in you, and I ask you to grow my faith. I know that this will lead me through valleys and deserts, but I want to know you, and I am willing to sacrifice my physical comfort to walk with you more closely. Please give me your grace and power to enable me to follow wherever you lead. I pray in Jesus's name. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment