Saturday, May 12, 2007

Gospel message in 1 John

 
 
The Gospel message is so clearly stated in 1 John 4 and 5.  It is spelled out so simply:
 
1 John 4:9-10
9 God showed how much he loved us by sending his one and only Son into the world so that we might have eternal life through him. 10 This is real love—not that we loved God, but that he loved us and sent his Son as a sacrifice to take away our sins.
 
1 John 4:15-16
15 All who confess that Jesus is the Son of God have God living in them, and they live in God. 16 We know how much God loves us, and we have put our trust in his love. God is love, and all who live in love live in God, and God lives in them.
 
1 John 5:1-5
Everyone who believes that Jesus is the Christ has become a child of God. And everyone who loves the Father loves his children, too. 2 We know we love God's children if we love God and obey his commandments. 3 Loving God means keeping his commandments, and his commandments are not burdensome. 4 For every child of God defeats this evil world, and we achieve this victory through our faith. 5 And who can win this battle against the world? Only those who believe that Jesus is the Son of God.
 
1 John 5:11-13
11 And this is what God has testified: He has given us eternal life, and this life is in his Son. 12 Whoever has the Son has life; whoever does not have God's Son does not have life. 13 I have written this to you who believe in the name of the Son of God, so that you may know you have eternal life.
 
1 John 5:20-21
20 And we know that the Son of God has come, and he has given us understanding so that we can know the true God. And now we live in fellowship with the true God because we live in fellowship with his Son, Jesus Christ. He is the only true God, and he is eternal life. 21 Dear children, keep away from anything that might take God's place in your hearts.
 
Prayer
Heavenly Father, thank you for revealing to me the identity of your Son, Jesus, who is the Christ, the Messiah, the Lamb who takes away the sin of the world.  Lord, I put my trust in you, and I pray that you will teach me to obey your commandments as I demonstrate my love for you.  Lord, I know that you are the only true God, and that you are eternal life.  Lord, teach me to run from anything that will distract me from knowing you.  I pray in the powerful name of Jesus.  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment