Tuesday, May 29, 2007

reflections on completion

 
Well, I've finished reading through the New Testament again, and I must say that I learned a lot (again).
 
I recently heard a quote from our pastor:  "You can never coast a day in your walk with Christ."  Thus, while I am pleased that I've made it through the NT again, I know that I can not be proud and I must work hard each day to know Him better.  I think the last verses in John's Gospel really speak to God's infinitude and the asymptotic approach to knowing Him:
 
John 21:24 This disciple is the one who testifies to these events and has recorded them here. And we know that his account of these things is accurate.  25 Jesus also did many other things. If they were all written down, I suppose the whole world could not contain the books that would be written.
 
This leads me to ask, "How can I know God better today than I did yesterday?"  I think the subsequent question is, "How do I need to obey the Lord today so that I can know Him better?" 
 
A passage that comes to mind is Jeremiah 29:11-14a:
 
11 For I know the plans I have for you," says the Lord. "They are plans for good and not for disaster, to give you a future and a hope. 12 In those days when you pray, I will listen. 13 If you look for me wholeheartedly, you will find me. 14 I will be found by you," says the Lord.
 
Prayer
Heavenly Father, thank you for continually revealing yourself to me as I seek you.  I pray that you will teach me to look for you wholeheartedly, and teach me to obey each and every command.  I ask this in the name of Jesus, the Author and Perfecter of my faith.  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment