Thursday, May 3, 2007

home stretch

 
Here I am nearing the end of the semester and growing weary of homework, projects, and exams.  I am completing my third year of graduate school, and my perspective of education is subject to change.  So, set in the context of finishing this semester (my 20th year in school), today's scripture reading was very encouraging.  The Lord knows exactly what I need to hear, and I am so thankful that he speaks through His written word and the Holy Spirit to move my heart.
 
Proverbs 3:5-6
5 Trust in the Lord with all your heart;
      do not depend on your own understanding.
6 Seek his will in all you do,
      and he will show you which path to take.
 
Hebrews 12:1-2
1 Therefore, since we are surrounded by such a huge crowd of witnesses to the life of faith, let us strip off every weight that slows us down, especially the sin that so easily trips us up. And let us run with endurance the race God has set before us. 2 We do this by keeping our eyes on Jesus, the champion who initiates and perfects our faith. Because of the joy awaiting him, he endured the cross, disregarding its shame. Now he is seated in the place of honor beside God's throne.
 
Hebrews 12:10-14, 28-29
10 For our earthly fathers disciplined us for a few years, doing the best they knew how. But God's discipline is always good for us, so that we might share in his holiness. 11 No discipline is enjoyable while it is happening—it's painful! But afterward there will be a peaceful harvest of right living for those who are trained in this way.  12 So take a new grip with your tired hands and strengthen your weak knees. 13 Mark out a straight path for your feet so that those who are weak and lame will not fall but become strong.  14 Work at living in peace with everyone, and work at living a holy life, for those who are not holy will not see the Lord. ... 28 Since we are receiving a Kingdom that is unshakable, let us be thankful and please God by worshiping him with holy fear and awe. 29 For our God is a devouring fire.
 
Hebrews 13:8, 15-16
8 Jesus Christ is the same yesterday, today, and forever. ... 15 Therefore, let us offer through Jesus a continual sacrifice of praise to God, proclaiming our allegiance to his name. 16 And don't forget to do good and to share with those in need. These are the sacrifices that please God.
 
Hebrews 13:20-21
20 Now may the God of peace—
      who brought up from the dead our Lord Jesus,
   the great Shepherd of the sheep,
      and ratified an eternal covenant with his blood—
21 may he equip you with all you need
      for doing his will.
   May he produce in you,
      through the power of Jesus Christ,
   every good thing that is pleasing to him.
      All glory to him forever and ever! Amen.
 
Prayer
Heavenly Father, please help me trust and love you with all of my heart, soul, mind, and strength.  Lord, I want to seek you with all my heart; please show me the hindrances I must discard to run the race.  I lift my eyes up to Jesus, because I know where my help comes from.  Lord, I know you are leading me along a path of discipline, and I thank you for loving me and shaping me into the image of Jesus.  I pray that you will give me a clear mind, a strong grip, and renewed strength in my legs as I wait upon you.  Lord, I humbly ask that you would allow me the opportunity to help lead others along this path of righteousness.  Jesus, I praise you that you are never changing, always reliable, and forever trustworthy; may I bless you with my sacrifice of praise as I try to emulate you.  Father, I beg you to equip me to do your will and produce in me, through your perfect power, ever good thing that pleases you.  All glory and praise and honor to you - forever and ever! Amen.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment