Saturday, January 24, 2009

change in perspective

Psalm 24, Proverbs 24

Yesterday I was pretty bummed.  I talked to two of my close Brothers,  and they were very helpful.  Neither one of them gave me the lame pep-talk, "Just cheer up and blah blah blah."  Neither one of them could tell me how to change my attitude.  After venting my frustration with God's slowness, one of the Brothers told me that the problem is not with God but with us.  Yes, this reminded me of a previous conversation after a similar time of frustration.  True, my attitude is focused on me and the world instead of God alone.  The other Brother told me that he experiences much joy, not in self-manufacture of appreciation of God, but in exercising his spiritual gifts.  It is when he is cooperating with the Lord by functioning in the capacity that the Lord gave him that he becomes joyful in God's visitation of humanity.

As I reflect on Psalm 24, the following verses were quite penetrating to beg the question, "What am I focused on?"

 1 The earth is the LORD's, and everything in it,
       the world, and all who live in it;

 2 for he founded it upon the seas
       and established it upon the waters.

 3 Who may ascend the hill of the LORD ?
       Who may stand in his holy place?

 4 He who has clean hands and a pure heart,
       who does not lift up his soul to an idol
       or swear by what is false. 

 5 He will receive blessing from the LORD
       and vindication from God his Savior.

 6 Such is the generation of those who seek him,
       who seek your face, O God of Jacob.

As I visited with my wife yesterday evening, she gave me quite the challenge.  She reminded me that the Lord gives us progressively more difficult tests to grow our faith, and He is patient with us.  He repeats the test until we pass it.  I need to endure and persevere through this time of testing.  This point was driven home with a couple of verses from Proverbs 24 this morning:

 10 If you falter in times of trouble,
       how small is your strength! ...
 16 for though a righteous man falls seven times, he rises again, ...

Prayer
Heavenly Father, please forgive me for my lack of faith.  Lord, please be patient with me and give me strength to seek your face.  O Father, please give me clean hands and a pure heart to worship you.  Lord, may I not lift up my soul to another or swear by what is false.  Lord, please help me trust that you are in control, that you do truly love the whole world, and that you are actively seeking reconciliation with all.  Lord, I pray that you will be my strength so that you will lift me up each time that I fall.  Hallelujah.  I pray this in the name of Jesus Christ. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment