Friday, January 9, 2009

life and death

Psalm 9, Proverbs 9

Proverbs 9:3 [Wisdom] calls from the highest point of the city. ... 6 "Leave your simple ways and you will live; walk in the way of understanding." ... 14 [Folly] sits at the door of her house, on a seat at the highest point of the city, 15 calling out to those who pass by ... 18 But little do they know that the dead are there, that [Folly's] guests are in the depths of the grave.

The contrast is so obvious when you sit back and think about it objectively. But in that moment when you are being pulled to go one way or another, the distinctions are more subtle.  I need the Lord Jesus to rescue me from Folly and give me Life, understanding, and the fear of the LORD.

Psalm 9: 1 I will praise you, O LORD, with all my heart; I will tell of all your wonders. 2 I will be glad and rejoice in you; I will sing praise to your name, O Most High.

The concept is so simple: delight in the Lord!  He is so wonderful, good, kind, and loving! So why is it so hard for me to be glad and rejoice in Him?  Why does it take so much work for me to praise Him and stay focused on Him?  Why am I so distracted by my flesh and the things of this world?  Why do I take more delight in Folly's stolen bread and water instead of the Bread of Life and the Living Water?

Prayer
Heavenly Father, please forgive me for my apathy and complacency. Please forgive me for the treason of loving this world.  Lord, I know in my mind that you are greater than anything this world has to offer - that there is no comparison.  Yet, my heart is divided, and I am so prone to wander from the God I love.  Lord, please take my heart and seal it with your agape love, and give me an undivided heart to delight in you alone.  May your Name receive glory and honor from the faith and obedience that you give me, from the Fruit that your Holy Spirit produces in my life.  I pray this in the name of Jesus Christ. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment